No need to spend all day making soup! This recipe has a little something for everyone–the tortellini make this soup a meal, plenty of veggies and a bit of kale pleases the health-minded and some lean spicy sausage adds a little protein kick!! It all comes together in less than an hour (my favorite ingredient!)
Tortellini and Kale Soup
- 1 medium leek
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, sliced, cut any large slices in half (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 6 cups chicken broth, preferable low sodium
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dry
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (9 to 10 ounces) fresh spinach or cheese tortellini
- 2 spicy, fully cooked chicken sausages (about 4.5 ounces total), sliced such as andouille
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped or shredded kale leaves
- Trim off and discard any very dark green part of the leek. Slice remaining leek in half lengthwise and rinse under running water, separating layers of leek to wash away dirt and sand. Slice leek crosswise.
- Heat oil in a 4 to 6-quart pot over medium-low heat and add leek and carrots; cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 8 minutes. Add zucchini and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth, beans, tomatoes, 1 cup water, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Add tortellini and sausages, reduce heat to simmer, partially covered (see NOTE), 10-13 minutes, until tortellini is just tender. Add kale and simmer until wilted, about 2 minutes. If soup seems too thick, add a little water (or broth if you have extra) to achieve desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
- Makes 12 cups