Savory, sweet, with a little spice, this roasted chicken recipe is simple enough for a family dinner, but has a little wow! factor that makes it great for entertaining too.
Greek Lemon Chicken with Feta, Honey and Spiced Chickpeas
- 13 by 9-inch nonaluminum baking dish
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, about 2-1/2 pounds
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, about 2 medium lemons
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dry, plus additional whole sprigs, optional
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large red or yellow bell peppers, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then into 3/4-inch thick slices (half moons)
- 1 small red onion, cut in half, then into ¼-inch slices (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus additional for serving
- ½ cup cubed Feta cheese, about 3 ounces
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), (15.5 ounces) drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pita or Naan bread for serving, if desired
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano, coarse salt and pepper. Place chicken pieces in 13 by 9-inch nonmetal baking dish and pour lemon juice mixture to evenly coat chicken. Refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Add peppers, zucchini, onions, olives, and a few oregano sprigs (if using) to chicken, toss to coat all with lemon mixture. Drizzle 1 tablespoon honey over all and bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through and beginning to brown, 50 to 60 minutes*, brushing with cooking liquid half way through cooking.
- Meanwhile, make Spiced Chickpeas, if desired. Dry garbanzo beans on paper towel, to remove moisture. Combine spices in medium bowl, add garbanzo beans and toss to coat evenly. Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Reserve for serving over chicken.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with juices and sprinkle with Feta cheese, Spiced Chickpeas (if using), and a drizzle of additional honey. I also recommend serving with pita or naan bread to soak up the delicious cooking juices.
- 4 to 6 servings