Keep the grilling season going with these super simple turkey burgers. I love the pronounced flavor of the shredded Asiago cheese, but everyday sharp cheddar works just as well. The chopped parsley and green onion brighten up an ordinary burger and what doesn’t taste better with a bit of smashed avocado?
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- ¾ cup shredded Asiago or sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion about 3
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and mashed
- Arugula leaves
- Tomato slices
- 4 toasted white or wheat hamburger buns
- Preheat grill to medium, about 350ºF. (See NOTE)
- Mix turkey, shredded cheese, green onion, parsley, salt and pepper gently but thoroughly in a medium bowl, using with two forks. Shape the mixture into four equal patties, about 3-1/2 inches wide and ¾ inch thick. Grill patties on the preheated grill, covered, until thoroughly cooked (165ºF on an instant read thermometer), about 12 to 17 minutes total (see NOTE), turning 2 to 3 times for even cooking.
- Place a few arugula leaves and sliced tomato on bottom buns. Add burgers, topped with smashed avocado and bun top.
- Makes 4 burgers
Thank you God for the gift of this time to slow down for a bit around our table. Just as these simple ingredients add new flavor to our meal, help us to recognize the unique gifts that we are able to share with one another to bring a new ways of meeting challenges, solving problems and easing burdens. And of course remind us of your presence in all that we do. Amen.
Leave a Reply