A quick, healthy side salad to round out a family barbecue or take to a potluck gathering. Feel free to experiment with the many varieties of cabbages, greens and shredded slaw mixes in your market to create your own favorite combo. The crunch of the apple and sweetness of the dried fruit adds a little twist to the classic recipe. The fresh dill is totally personal choice– I like a hint of it, but my daughter prefers it without, so we serve dill on the side at our house.
Kale and Apple Coleslaw
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces shredded green cabbage about 7 cups
- 6 ounces assorted shredded cabbages and kale mixture about 6 cups (see NOTE)
- 5 ounces shredded carrots about 2 cups
- 1 large apple, cored and chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup mixed dried fruit (see NOTE)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill optional
- Whisk dressing ingredients together until combined; reserve.
- Combine slaw ingredients except dill in a large bowl. Add all but about 2 tablespoons dressing and toss to combine. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours before serving. Just before serving, toss slaw with remaining dressing and dill, if using. (The dill flavor intensifies as it stands, so best to add just before serving. Dill can also be served on the side and added to individual servings as desired.)
- Makes about 8 cups.
God of endless blessings, open our eyes to your bountiful gifts that surprise us each day, a beautiful sunrise upon waking, a refreshing afternoon swim in the lake or ocean, a glimpse of a tiny hummingbird feeding or a majestic cardinal swooping across the yard. Help us all, no matter our age, to hold onto the childlike wonder that keeps joy in our hearts as we gather to celebrate life with each other.