Even if you’re convinced you don’t like beets, try this salad!! Trust me, I used to think I did not like beets until I roasted them and discovered the earthy sweetness and seductive colors that bring life to any salad or side dish. Check out How to Roast Beets in the Tips and Techniques section The balsamic vinaigrette is a staple at our house and is yummy drizzled over the beets.
Roasted Beet, Avocado and Goat Cheese Salad
- 3 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dry
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 to 6 roasted beets, peeled and sliced (see Tips and Techniques for roasting steps)
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives optional
- Salt and Pepper
- To make Balsamic Vinaigrette: Whisk vinegar, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl (or shake in a jar), until well blended. Slowly add olive oil while whisking (or add in a few additions and shake in jar), until vinaigrette is smooth and blended. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as desired. (The consistency will vary depending on how thick your vinegar is; thin with a drop or two of water if needed for desired consistency.) Reserve.
- Divide beets, avocado, goat cheese and arugula among 4 salad plates; drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and sprinkle with chives, if desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Makes 4 servings.
Dear Lord you are the master gardener, planting seeds in each one of us that can grow deep roots if we live according to your loving ways. Encourage us to care for your earth, ourselves and each other with concern and attentiveness that those roots will take hold and support us in both good times and challenges.