Begin the day with these yummy pancakes that have one foot in the healthy camp and another in the sweet treat category. Thanks to the perfectly pink strawberry butter, there’s hardly any need for extra maple syrup!
Whole Wheat Banana Berry Pancakes with Strawberry Maple Butter
- electric mixer
- Griddle or Large skillet
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup small chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana, 2 to 3 medium bananas
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted plus addition butter for cooking
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 large banana, thinly sliced
- Maple Syrup for serving if desired
- Additional sliced strawberries and bananas for serving if desired
- To make the Strawberry Butter: Blend the butter, maple syrup and salt in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy; add lemon juice and beat until smooth. Add chopped strawberries and beat until some of the strawberries break down and butter is light pink and creamy. Reserve.
- Stir together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl or large measuring cup, mix together eggs, buttermilk, mashed banana, and vanilla until combined; add to flour mixture. Add melted butter and stir just until flour mixture is completely incorporated into batter.
- Heat griddle or large skillet over medium heat and add a little butter, spreading evenly to grease the pan. Once the pan is hot, spoon about ¼ cup batter onto griddle and add a few chopped strawberries and sliced banana onto batter. Repeat with additional batter and fruit, to fill griddle with about an inch between pancakes. Flip pancakes when bubbles begin to hold shape, about 3 to 5 minutes. Cook pancakes another 1 to 2 minutes more on second side until golden brown and cooked through. Pancakes are best served hot off the griddle, but you can also keep them warm in a low degree oven while cooking more pancakes. Grease the griddle before each batch with additional butter and adjust heat as necessary for even cooking.
- Serve pancakes with Strawberry Butter, additional sliced fruit and maple syrup if desired.
- Makes about 16 4-inch pancakes and ¾ cup Strawberry Butter
Thank you God for fresh starts, for renewed energy, and for the loving hands that prepared this meal as fuel for mind and body as we greet this day.