I made this dish on a weeknight when I was determined not to go to the grocery store. I used leftover bacon (see note in recipe) and chopped up whatever vegetables I had on hand. Making it all in one pan is my goal whenever possible and the little bit of cream adds just a bit of decadence. My crew gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up, so we have added it our regular menu. Hope you do too!!!
Creamy Veggie and Cheese Tortellini with Bacon
- 4 slices bacon, uncooked (see NOTES)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (See NOTES)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced, about 1 cup
- 1 small yellow or red onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 medium zucchini, diced, about 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic , about 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained (petite or regular diced)
- 10 ounces refrigerated fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-low heat until crisp, turning as necessary for even browning; remove to plate lined with paper towels to drain. When cool, crumble bacon into small pieces and reserve.
- Spoon off and discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from pan. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan and cook carrots and onions over medium-low heat until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini, garlic, and thyme and continue to cook until zucchini begins to soften, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, tortellini and chicken broth; bring to a boil, cover pan and reduce heat to simmer mixture until tortellini is tender, about 7 minutes. (Cook time may vary depending on tortellini brands. Check package directions and adjust cook time as necessary). Stir halfway through cooking. Uncover and add cream; cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. (See NOTE below). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with reserved chopped bacon and Parmesan cheese.
God in heaven, thank you for the gift of this food and timeout in our day to restore each person around our table. Bless our conversation as we share this meal, that we may listen with open ears and hearts to all that is spoken. Fill us, both in body and spirit, and strengthen us to go forth from our time together, eager to share your goodness with all we encounter.